Monday, February 8, 2010

Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve...Literally.

Hi all! My name is Anna Joy and I am super excited to be guest blogging for Emjay today!

In honor of Valentine's, I decided to do a really quick, fun, easy, and super cheap DIY...Sweetheart Brooches!

Supplies
1. 2 different pieces of scrap fabric (one for front and one for back)
2. Xacto Knife
3. Fabric paint
4. Sponge brush
5. Needle and thread
6. Felt
7. Pin back
8. Scissors
9. Pencil
10. Freezer paper

1. Sketch out the name of your sweetie(s) (I did one for my honey and one for our son) in whatever size you want on your freezer paper on the side that has tooth (or isn't shiny). I faintly drew hearts around them to see how big they might be. After you are satisfied, cut them out with an xacto knife.


2. Iron your freezer paper shiny side down on your fabric that is right side up until it is adhered on well.


3. Dab the fabric paint with your sponge brush gently. Don't glob it on right away. Do many light coats until it you can't see anymore fabric underneath. Let it dry for 15 minutes or so.


4. Peel fabric paper away slowly. This is what it should look like.


5. Lightly draw hearts around the name and then cut it out. Then lay out your new cut out heart and trace it around your backing scrap fabric and then cut that out.

6. Take your backing fabric and sew your pin back on it. There are many tutorials online to show you how to do this if you don't know how. Here's one that is very helpful from Polka Dot Pineapple .

7. Take your front and back scrap fabrics and start stitching around the heart. I started at the top half. Stop after you get a little more than half way done.


8. Stuff your little heart and then finish sewing. It's okay if your stuffing is overflowing out of your heart.


9. You're done! Trim your heart and clean it up if you need to.


10. Wear it on your sweater or put it on your bag and let everyone see who your sweetheart(s) is/are! You can also embroider your name if you don't have freezer paper. I decided to embroider a little spool and needle because I sure do love sewing.


I hope everyone enjoyed my little DIY! Come check me out at Anna's Joy and be friends with me!

Thank again Emjay for letting me come hang out today! We can't wait to have you back!

Here's one more thing to perk up your Monday :)


Have a great week and happy Valentine's day everyone!

And Go Saints!

3 comments:

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said...

Cute i love them

Sweetness and Smiles said...

Omghosh I making these for my dog's collar!! or for the ends of my sofa throw blanket! so cute!

Caroline said...

those little hearts are darling!